pokerfied.com
Promoting poker discussions.

Main
Date: 08 Jan 2009 07:46:06
From: Vince
Subject: Strange advertisement in England
There is a startling new advertisement on 800 buses across England. It
reads:

"There's probably no God," the advertisements say. "Now stop worrying and
enjoy your life."

It's interesting that the ad uses the qualifier " probably". (as
insurance, I guess). LOL

Vince












 
Date: 08 Jan 2009 07:03:54
From: ppdls
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England
On Jan 8 2009 12:47 PM, Vince wrote:

> There is a startling new advertisement on 800 buses across England. It
> reads:
>
> "There's probably no God," the advertisements say. "Now stop worrying and
> enjoy your life."
>
> It's interesting that the ad uses the qualifier " probably". (as
> insurance, I guess). LOL
>
> Vince

This is a campaign launched by the Humanist Society in response to a
series of Christian ads on the same range of buses etc that told people
that they would be sent to hell for all eternity if they didn't do what
God wanted.

ppdls

--
Why procrastinate today, when you could leave it until tomorrow?

________________________________________________________________________ 
: the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com



 
Date: 08 Jan 2009 06:26:23
From: FellKnight
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England
On Jan 8 2009 7:47 AM, Vince wrote:

> There is a startling new advertisement on 800 buses across England. It
> reads:
>
> "There's probably no God," the advertisements say. "Now stop worrying and
> enjoy your life."
>
> It's interesting that the ad uses the qualifier " probably". (as
> insurance, I guess). LOL
>
> Vince

As the obvious?

Fell
--
Be Loud. Be Proud. Be Considerate!

______________________________________________________________________ 
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com



 
Date: 08 Jan 2009 13:10:08
From: Gareth Erskine-Jones
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 07:46:06 -0600, "Vince" <vcuccia122@comcast.net >
wrote:

>There is a startling new advertisement on 800 buses across England. It
>reads:

It's not particularly startling....
>
>"There's probably no God," the advertisements say. "Now stop worrying and
>enjoy your life."
>
> It's interesting that the ad uses the qualifier " probably". (as
>insurance, I guess). LOL

I thought the use of "probably" was quite interesting - I don't think
it's anything to do with "insurance" though - I think it reflects more
on the intellectual honesty & humility (in the sense of being able to
express self doubt) in the organizations behind the campaign. I don't
ever recall seeing a poster saying "Jesus probably saves", or anyone
waving a placard saying "John 3:16 might be true".

GEJ


  
Date: 08 Jan 2009 16:42:51
From: Sir Benjamin Nunn
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England


"Gareth Erskine-Jones" <gej@uberdog.net > wrote in message
news:eeubm4taeb3jv1d113blf2sbcipact1inv@4ax.com...

>
>>There is a startling new advertisement on 800 buses across England. It
>>reads:
>
> It's not particularly startling....
>>
>>"There's probably no God," the advertisements say. "Now stop worrying and
>>enjoy your life."
>>
>> It's interesting that the ad uses the qualifier " probably". (as
>>insurance, I guess). LOL
>
> I thought the use of "probably" was quite interesting - I don't think
> it's anything to do with "insurance" though - I think it reflects more
> on the intellectual honesty & humility (in the sense of being able to
> express self doubt) in the organizations behind the campaign. I don't
> ever recall seeing a poster saying "Jesus probably saves", or anyone
> waving a placard saying "John 3:16 might be true".


Actually, it's in response to a series of fairly ambiguous ads that ask
'what if God did exist?' with a fairly strong emphasis on intellectual
honesty and humility.

If the humanist ad had read 'God definitely doesn't exist', they would have
looked arrogant and lost credibility, in the same way that a lot of
religious movements in the USA do when presented to a British audience.

FWIW, I think the ads a crap. They might as well have gone for a bit more
punch - e.g. 'God probably doesn't exist, so you might as well commit rape
and murder if you're sure you can get away with it, or you're terminally ill
anyway. Go on, you know you want to.'

BTN





   
Date: 09 Jan 2009 01:04:26
From: Gareth Erskine-Jones
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England
On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:42:51 -0000, "Sir Benjamin Nunn"
<bennunn@depro.co.uk > wrote:

>"Gareth Erskine-Jones" <gej@uberdog.net> wrote in message
>news:eeubm4taeb3jv1d113blf2sbcipact1inv@4ax.com...
>
>>
>>>There is a startling new advertisement on 800 buses across England. It
>>>reads:
>>
>> It's not particularly startling....
>>>
>>>"There's probably no God," the advertisements say. "Now stop worrying and
>>>enjoy your life."
>>>
>>> It's interesting that the ad uses the qualifier " probably". (as
>>>insurance, I guess). LOL
>>
>> I thought the use of "probably" was quite interesting - I don't think
>> it's anything to do with "insurance" though - I think it reflects more
>> on the intellectual honesty & humility (in the sense of being able to
>> express self doubt) in the organizations behind the campaign. I don't
>> ever recall seeing a poster saying "Jesus probably saves", or anyone
>> waving a placard saying "John 3:16 might be true".
>
>
>Actually, it's in response to a series of fairly ambiguous ads that ask
>'what if God did exist?' with a fairly strong emphasis on intellectual
>honesty and humility.
>
>If the humanist ad had read 'God definitely doesn't exist', they would have
>looked arrogant and lost credibility, in the same way that a lot of
>religious movements in the USA do when presented to a British audience.
>
>FWIW, I think the ads a crap.

I disagree - one of the many reasons I stopped being a christian was
the recognition that christianity devalued this earthly life in favour
of life after death. The advert directly targets that view.

> They might as well have gone for a bit more
>punch - e.g. 'God probably doesn't exist, so you might as well commit rape
>and murder if you're sure you can get away with it, or you're terminally ill
>anyway. Go on, you know you want to.'

It wouldn't have fit on the bus, it would have been illegal, and it
wouldn't have reflected the views of the people placing the advert. So
I think I can understand why they did't say that.

The idea that people only behave in a morally decent way because they
fear divine retribution is one that has very little evidence to
support it. IMO it's an idea that only seems to make sense to those
who already believe in divine retribution - most non-believers I know
are, like most believers, decent people who don't rape and murder. On
the other hand, there are people whose actions are vile and who are
christians (Tony Blair comes to mind) or adherents to other religions.

I used to be a christian (even graduated from a seminary, preached
from pulpits etc.), and even then, the idea that the only reason
people behave in a moral mannner is because they fear hell was
considered a weak argument.

The most important statement in the Bible on the subject is "by their
fruits you shall know them" - basically saying that you can recognise
a christian by the love, charity and humilty they show. Unfortunately,
if that criterion is true, then there are an awful lot of people who
are believers but aren't recognisable as such.

I'd say it's much more likely that people develop their sense of
morality for other reasons, and then, if they are religious, they read
it into their religion. An example is that most wars, started for
non-religious reasons, are fought by people who believe they are doing
God's work.

GEJ


   
Date: 08 Jan 2009 11:27:03
From: MrBookworm
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England
> FWIW, I think the ads a crap. They might as well have gone for a bit more
> punch - e.g. 'God probably doesn't exist, so you might as well commit rape
> and murder if you're sure you can get away with it, or you're terminally ill
> anyway. Go on, you know you want to.'

So you would rape and murder if you didn't believe in god? wow

Did you ever think that there are plenty of reasons not to
cheat/lie/murder/rape that don't require religion or a belief in god?

Dean

"First of all, I cannot see Bookworm's post in my newsreader. Probably
just as well, he annoys the fuck out of me anyway." PP - Dec 29, 2008

---- 
: the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com



  
Date: 08 Jan 2009 08:59:58
From: Vince
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England

"Gareth Erskine-Jones" <gej@uberdog.net > wrote in message
news:eeubm4taeb3jv1d113blf2sbcipact1inv@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 07:46:06 -0600, "Vince" <vcuccia122@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>There is a startling new advertisement on 800 buses across England. It
>>reads:
>
> It's not particularly startling....
>>
>>"There's probably no God," the advertisements say. "Now stop worrying and
>>enjoy your life."
>>
>> It's interesting that the ad uses the qualifier " probably". (as
>>insurance, I guess). LOL
>
> I thought the use of "probably" was quite interesting - I don't think
> it's anything to do with "insurance" though - I think it reflects more
> on the intellectual honesty & humility (in the sense of being able to
> express self doubt) in the organizations behind the campaign. I don't
> ever recall seeing a poster saying "Jesus probably saves", or anyone
> waving a placard saying "John 3:16 might be true".
>
> GEJ

Nor would you ever see such an ad on a bus in the US.

Vince



   
Date: 08 Jan 2009 11:28:19
From: MrBookworm
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England
> Nor would you ever see such an ad on a bus in the US.

There were billboards in Phoenix last year (I personally saw a couple of
them):

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/story/Imagine-No-Religion-billboards-cause-controversy/fA7dzndBjkiLIWQnfTacrA.cspx

Dean

"First of all, I cannot see Bookworm's post in my newsreader. Probably
just as well, he annoys the fuck out of me anyway." PP - Dec 29, 2008

------ 
RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader : www.recgroups.com




   
Date: 08 Jan 2009 06:28:40
From: FellKnight
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England
On Jan 8 2009 9:03 AM, Vince wrote:

> "Gareth Erskine-Jones" <gej@uberdog.net> wrote in message
> news:eeubm4taeb3jv1d113blf2sbcipact1inv@4ax.com...
> > On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 07:46:06 -0600, "Vince" <vcuccia122@comcast.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>There is a startling new advertisement on 800 buses across England. It
> >>reads:
> >
> > It's not particularly startling....
> >>
> >>"There's probably no God," the advertisements say. "Now stop worrying and
> >>enjoy your life."
> >>
> >> It's interesting that the ad uses the qualifier " probably". (as
> >>insurance, I guess). LOL
> >
> > I thought the use of "probably" was quite interesting - I don't think
> > it's anything to do with "insurance" though - I think it reflects more
> > on the intellectual honesty & humility (in the sense of being able to
> > express self doubt) in the organizations behind the campaign. I don't
> > ever recall seeing a poster saying "Jesus probably saves", or anyone
> > waving a placard saying "John 3:16 might be true".
> >
> > GEJ
>
> Nor would you ever see such an ad on a bus in the US.
>
> Vince

Your point?

Fell
--
Be Loud. Be Proud. Be Considerate!

________________________________________________________________________ 
: the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com



    
Date: 08 Jan 2009 11:46:54
From: Vince
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England

"FellKnight" <jordandevenport@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:o5fh36xgih.ln2@recgroups.com...
> On Jan 8 2009 9:03 AM, Vince wrote:
>
>> "Gareth Erskine-Jones" <gej@uberdog.net> wrote in message
>> news:eeubm4taeb3jv1d113blf2sbcipact1inv@4ax.com...
>> > On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 07:46:06 -0600, "Vince" <vcuccia122@comcast.net>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >>There is a startling new advertisement on 800 buses across England. It
>> >>reads:
>> >
>> > It's not particularly startling....
>> >>
>> >>"There's probably no God," the advertisements say. "Now stop worrying
>> >>and
>> >>enjoy your life."
>> >>
>> >> It's interesting that the ad uses the qualifier " probably". (as
>> >>insurance, I guess). LOL
>> >
>> > I thought the use of "probably" was quite interesting - I don't think
>> > it's anything to do with "insurance" though - I think it reflects more
>> > on the intellectual honesty & humility (in the sense of being able to
>> > express self doubt) in the organizations behind the campaign. I don't
>> > ever recall seeing a poster saying "Jesus probably saves", or anyone
>> > waving a placard saying "John 3:16 might be true".
>> >
>> > GEJ
>>
>> Nor would you ever see such an ad on a bus in the US.
>>
>> Vince
>
> Your point?
>
> Fell
> --
> Be Loud. Be Proud. Be Considerate!
>
Fell, my point is that atheism is considered taboo in this country.
No political figure except Jesse Ventura ever publicly attcked religion.
Corporations would never sponsor a radio or TV program that advocated
atheism. Gays for the most part can come out of the closet today, but
atheists dare not. This is so despite the fact that 10 to 20 % ( I think the
figure is correct) of the population are atheist or agnostic.

Vince
>



     
Date: 09 Jan 2009 10:03:00
From: FellKnight
Subject: Re: Strange advertisement in England
On Jan 8 2009 11:55 AM, Vince wrote:

> "FellKnight" <jordandevenport@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o5fh36xgih.ln2@recgroups.com...
> > On Jan 8 2009 9:03 AM, Vince wrote:
> >
> >> "Gareth Erskine-Jones" <gej@uberdog.net> wrote in message
> >> news:eeubm4taeb3jv1d113blf2sbcipact1inv@4ax.com...
> >> > On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 07:46:06 -0600, "Vince" <vcuccia122@comcast.net>
> >> > wrote:
> >> >
> >> >>There is a startling new advertisement on 800 buses across England. It
> >> >>reads:
> >> >
> >> > It's not particularly startling....
> >> >>
> >> >>"There's probably no God," the advertisements say. "Now stop worrying
> >> >>and
> >> >>enjoy your life."
> >> >>
> >> >> It's interesting that the ad uses the qualifier " probably". (as
> >> >>insurance, I guess). LOL
> >> >
> >> > I thought the use of "probably" was quite interesting - I don't think
> >> > it's anything to do with "insurance" though - I think it reflects more
> >> > on the intellectual honesty & humility (in the sense of being able to
> >> > express self doubt) in the organizations behind the campaign. I don't
> >> > ever recall seeing a poster saying "Jesus probably saves", or anyone
> >> > waving a placard saying "John 3:16 might be true".
> >> >
> >> > GEJ
> >>
> >> Nor would you ever see such an ad on a bus in the US.
> >>
> >> Vince
> >
> > Your point?
> >
> > Fell
> > --
> > Be Loud. Be Proud. Be Considerate!
> >
> Fell, my point is that atheism is considered taboo in this country.
> No political figure except Jesse Ventura ever publicly attcked religion.
> Corporations would never sponsor a radio or TV program that advocated
> atheism. Gays for the most part can come out of the closet today, but
> atheists dare not. This is so despite the fact that 10 to 20 % ( I think the
> figure is correct) of the population are atheist or agnostic.
>
> Vince

Indeed. I also know that I was quite stunned driving through the USA and
seeing random billboards decrying abortion. That shit would never fly in
Canada.

The whole world is becoming more secular... it will be interesting to see
how the US evolves.

Fell
--
Be Loud. Be Proud. Be Considerate!

______________________________________________________________________ 
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com