pokerfied.com
Promoting poker discussions.

Main
Date: 02 Feb 2009 17:18:10
From: WaltWhitman
Subject: New parking lot scam
At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.

The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and stop
in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that twice
in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!

Walt


I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself
I am Large
I contain multitudes

_______________________________________________________________________ 
: the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com





 
Date: 05 Feb 2009 13:19:38
From: Dutch
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam

"WaltWhitman" <a26c32e@webnntp.invalid > wrote in message
news:ijik56xvsf.ln2@recgroups.com...
> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
>
> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and stop
> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that twice
> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
>
> Walt


Here's another one to watch out for..

Here's how the scam works:

Two seriously good-looking 20 - 21 year-old girls come over to your car as
you are packing your purchases into the trunk. They both start wiping your
windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of
their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.

When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say "No" and instead ask you
for a ride to another Home Depot. You agree, and they get in the backseat.
On the way, they start undressing. Then one of them climbs over into the
front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your
wallet.

I had my wallet stolen October 4th, 9th,10th, twice on the15th, 17th,
20th,&24th 29th. Also November 1st, 4th, twice on the 8th,16th, 23rd,
26th,27th, three times last Saturday and very likely again this upcoming
weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful.

P.S. Wal-Mart has wallets on sale 2.99 each.



  
Date: 05 Feb 2009 16:54:16
From: Deadmoney Walking
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 5, 6:56=A0pm, "da pickle" <jcpickels@(nospam)hotmail.com > wrote:
> "Dutch"
>
> > So tell your friends to be careful.
>
> > P.S. Wal-Mart has wallets on sale 2.99 each.
>
> Seriously funny!

A similar story was a classic on fark.com in 2004 involving 2 women
who showed up at old man's house and one did him while the other stole
70$. The posters couldn't decide who got the worse deal.


  
Date: 05 Feb 2009 19:40:48
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 5 2009 2:19 PM, Dutch wrote:

> "WaltWhitman" <a26c32e@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
> news:ijik56xvsf.ln2@recgroups.com...
> > At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
> > seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
> >
> > The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
> > parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and stop
> > in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
> > the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that twice
> > in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
> > this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
> >
> > Walt
>
>
> Here's another one to watch out for..
>
> Here's how the scam works:
>
> Two seriously good-looking 20 - 21 year-old girls come over to your car as
> you are packing your purchases into the trunk. They both start wiping your
> windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of
> their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.
>
> When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say "No" and instead ask you
> for a ride to another Home Depot. You agree, and they get in the backseat.
> On the way, they start undressing. Then one of them climbs over into the
> front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your
> wallet.
>
> I had my wallet stolen October 4th, 9th,10th, twice on the15th, 17th,
> 20th,&24th 29th. Also November 1st, 4th, twice on the 8th,16th, 23rd,
> 26th,27th, three times last Saturday and very likely again this upcoming
> weekend.
>
> So tell your friends to be careful.
>
> P.S. Wal-Mart has wallets on sale 2.99 each.

To be on the safe side legally if this happens to you again you should
unequivocably warn them that they have half an hour to stop that.

--- 
: the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com



   
Date: 06 Feb 2009 00:11:35
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 5 2009 8:40 PM, risky biz wrote:

> On Feb 5 2009 2:19 PM, Dutch wrote:
>
> > "WaltWhitman" <a26c32e@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
> > news:ijik56xvsf.ln2@recgroups.com...
> > > At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
> > > seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
> > >
> > > The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
> > > parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and stop
> > > in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
> > > the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that twice
> > > in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
> > > this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
> > >
> > > Walt
> >
> >
> > Here's another one to watch out for..
> >
> > Here's how the scam works:
> >
> > Two seriously good-looking 20 - 21 year-old girls come over to your car as
> > you are packing your purchases into the trunk. They both start wiping your
> > windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of
> > their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.
> >
> > When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say "No" and instead ask
you
> > for a ride to another Home Depot. You agree, and they get in the backseat.
> > On the way, they start undressing. Then one of them climbs over into the
> > front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals
your
> > wallet.
> >
> > I had my wallet stolen October 4th, 9th,10th, twice on the15th, 17th,
> > 20th,&24th 29th. Also November 1st, 4th, twice on the 8th,16th, 23rd,
> > 26th,27th, three times last Saturday and very likely again this upcoming
> > weekend.
> >
> > So tell your friends to be careful.
> >
> > P.S. Wal-Mart has wallets on sale 2.99 each.
>
> To be on the safe side legally if this happens to you again you should
> unequivocably warn them that they have half an hour to stop that.

Unequivocably? WTF?

____________________________________________________________________ 
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com




  
Date: 05 Feb 2009 21:34:10
From: FL Turbo
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:19:38 -0800, "Dutch" <no@email.com > wrote:

>
>"WaltWhitman" <a26c32e@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
>news:ijik56xvsf.ln2@recgroups.com...
>> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
>> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
>>
>> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
>> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and stop
>> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
>> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that twice
>> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
>> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
>>
>> Walt
>
>
>Here's another one to watch out for..
>
>Here's how the scam works:
>
>Two seriously good-looking 20 - 21 year-old girls come over to your car as
>you are packing your purchases into the trunk. They both start wiping your
>windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of
>their skimpy T-shirts. It is impossible not to look.
>
>When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say "No" and instead ask you
>for a ride to another Home Depot. You agree, and they get in the backseat.
>On the way, they start undressing. Then one of them climbs over into the
>front seat and starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your
>wallet.
>
>I had my wallet stolen October 4th, 9th,10th, twice on the15th, 17th,
>20th,&24th 29th. Also November 1st, 4th, twice on the 8th,16th, 23rd,
>26th,27th, three times last Saturday and very likely again this upcoming
>weekend.
>
>So tell your friends to be careful.
>
>P.S. Wal-Mart has wallets on sale 2.99 each.

Good one.

ROFL of the Week.


  
Date: 05 Feb 2009 17:56:25
From: da pickle
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
"Dutch"

> So tell your friends to be careful.
>
> P.S. Wal-Mart has wallets on sale 2.99 each.

Seriously funny!




 
Date: 04 Feb 2009 07:59:48
From: BTSinAustin
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 2 2009 8:18 PM, WaltWhitman wrote:

> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
>
> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and stop
> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that twice
> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
>
> Walt


I hope they try it here in Texas, no-fault zone plus we can shoot them!

____________________________________________________________________ 
: the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com



  
Date: 06 Feb 2009 12:15:38
From: QueenBee
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 4, 11:28=A0pm, Deadmoney Walking <tbones...@gmail.com > wrote:
> I thought the Travellers were some kind of imitation Irish. =A0Time for
> the wikipedia.
>
> awesome story JohnnyC

i believe they are descendents of Irish immigrants.


  
Date: 06 Feb 2009 08:36:10
From:
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 6, 11:27=A0am, "risky biz" <risky-...@sbcglobal.net > wrote:
> On Feb 6 2009 7:06 AM, da pickle wrote:
>
> > "risky biz"
>
> > >> Guess you need to retract your bullshit call now, huh?
>
> > > Yeah, as soon as you convince me that a murdered child is the same th=
ing
> > > as a slashed tire. Whatever.
>
> > This might help.
>
> >http://www.rhlschool.com/reading.htm
>
> You aren't displaying any intelligence, pickles.
>
> _______________________________________________________________________=
=A0
> * kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more..www.recgroups.com


Come on now risky. I let it go because I generally think you're a
bright person and wll spoken, but pickles is right. You're not being
logically consistent. You said to show you a case where someone
wasn't prosecuted, etc., etc., and, to prove that I knew what I was
talking about, I did. Then you try to move the goalposts and say
"Well, that's different". Not only is it logically the same, but my
example actually bolsters my point in that this retailiation was more
a more serious crime that what my friend did. If I had given an
example of someone not being prosecuted for littering, then your
response would have some merit. As it is, it makes little sense.



   
Date: 06 Feb 2009 19:01:49
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 6 2009 9:36 AM, johnnycoconutsftp wrote:

> On Feb 6, 11:27 am, "risky biz" <risky-...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > On Feb 6 2009 7:06 AM, da pickle wrote:
> >
> > > "risky biz"
> >
> > > >> Guess you need to retract your bullshit call now, huh?
> >
> > > > Yeah, as soon as you convince me that a murdered child is the same
thing
> > > > as a slashed tire. Whatever.
> >
> > > This might help.
> >
> > >http://www.rhlschool.com/reading.htm
> >
> > You aren't displaying any intelligence, pickles.
> >
> Come on now risky. I let it go because I generally think you're a
> bright person and wll spoken, but pickles is right. You're not being
> logically consistent. You said to show you a case where someone
> wasn't prosecuted, etc., etc., and, to prove that I knew what I was
> talking about, I did. Then you try to move the goalposts and say
> "Well, that's different". Not only is it logically the same, but my
> example actually bolsters my point in that this retailiation was more
> a more serious crime that what my friend did. If I had given an
> example of someone not being prosecuted for littering, then your
> response would have some merit. As it is, it makes little sense.

I find it believable that a jury could find a guilty party innocent when
they were retaliating for the murder of a related child. But, in any case,
your example says nothing about any jury, just that "nothing happened".
The entire example is meaningless since obviously there could have been
innumerable mitigating factors such as the simple possibility that there
was no proof of who fired the shots.

I find it unbelievable that a jury would not find guilty a party who
shotgunned a vehicle in which people were sleeping because he THOUGHT that
someone in the vehicle may have slashed his tire.

And I can't believe I'm explaining this.

_____________________________________________________________________ 
: the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com



    
Date: 08 Feb 2009 17:20:50
From: da pickle
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
"risky biz"

> I find it unbelievable that a jury would not find guilty a party who
> shotgunned a vehicle in which people were sleeping because he THOUGHT that
> someone in the vehicle may have slashed his tire.
>
> And I can't believe I'm explaining this.

I can't believe you are still trying. You seem to be at a loss for finding
the facts.

Back to the reading comprehension.




     
Date: 08 Feb 2009 21:50:37
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 8 2009 4:20 PM, da pickle wrote:

> "risky biz"
>
> > I find it unbelievable that a jury would not find guilty a party who
> > shotgunned a vehicle in which people were sleeping because he THOUGHT that
> > someone in the vehicle may have slashed his tire.
> >
> > And I can't believe I'm explaining this.
>
> I can't believe you are still trying. You seem to be at a loss for finding
> the facts.
>
> Back to the reading comprehension.

You really are just an idiot troll. Bye, bye.

_______________________________________________________________________ 
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com




   
Date: 06 Feb 2009 12:46:19
From: da pickle
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
<johnnycoconutsftp@yahoo.com > wrote

Come on now risky. I let it go because I generally think you're a
bright person and wll spoken, but pickles is right. You're not being
logically consistent. You said to show you a case where someone
wasn't prosecuted, etc., etc., and, to prove that I knew what I was
talking about, I did. Then you try to move the goalposts and say
"Well, that's different". Not only is it logically the same, but my
example actually bolsters my point in that this retailiation was more
a more serious crime that what my friend did. If I had given an
example of someone not being prosecuted for littering, then your
response would have some merit. As it is, it makes little sense.
==============================

I was going to give my own example. A guy in BR had his son kidnapped ...
they boy was 12 and was not killed, but he was "molested" ... they were
bringing the guy back for trial (extradited from Texas) and as they walked
him through the airport, the father turned from a telephone and shot the
"defendant" dead as a hammer.

The grand jury returned a no true bill. Case closed.

These cases are rare but they do occur. They are fact driven and almost
always emotional.

I believe the book (and movie) Anatomy of a Murder might be used for this
sort of example. I believe that was loosely based on a real situation, but
it was a long time ago.




    
Date: 06 Feb 2009 19:04:20
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 6 2009 11:46 AM, da pickle wrote:

> <johnnycoconutsftp@yahoo.com> wrote
>
> Come on now risky. I let it go because I generally think you're a
> bright person and wll spoken, but pickles is right. You're not being
> logically consistent. You said to show you a case where someone
> wasn't prosecuted, etc., etc., and, to prove that I knew what I was
> talking about, I did. Then you try to move the goalposts and say
> "Well, that's different". Not only is it logically the same, but my
> example actually bolsters my point in that this retailiation was more
> a more serious crime that what my friend did. If I had given an
> example of someone not being prosecuted for littering, then your
> response would have some merit. As it is, it makes little sense.
> ==============================
>
> I was going to give my own example. A guy in BR had his son kidnapped ...
> they boy was 12 and was not killed, but he was "molested" ... they were
> bringing the guy back for trial (extradited from Texas) and as they walked
> him through the airport, the father turned from a telephone and shot the
> "defendant" dead as a hammer.
>
> The grand jury returned a no true bill. Case closed.
>
> These cases are rare but they do occur. They are fact driven and almost
> always emotional.
>
> I believe the book (and movie) Anatomy of a Murder might be used for this
> sort of example. I believe that was loosely based on a real situation, but
> it was a long time ago.

Once again, pickles, I will ask you to take note of the fact that a
kidnapped and sexually abused child is ever so slightly different than a
suspicion that someone has slashed your tire.

I'm fucking begging you to do that.

--- 
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com




  
Date: 05 Feb 2009 09:07:00
From:
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 5, 11:30=A0am, "risky biz" <risky-...@sbcglobal.net > wrote:
>
> He wouldn't be convicted for shotgunning a vehicle that someone is
> sleeping in when it's not on his property? I call bullshit. Show me one
> similar example in rural Florida. That shouldn't be hard since you worked
> in the State Attorney's office.


The Spiva case in Bay County in the late 80's or early 90s. The older
Spiva brother killed a kid and was arrested (and ultimately convicted
of manslaughter and did about 11 years if I recall). A few weeks
later his younger brother Lee was driving down the road when his truck
was shot at by the relatives of the dead kid. The bullet came through
the rear window and lodged in the metal support column for the
headrest. In broad daylight. Nobody saw a thing, nobody knew a thing,
no-one pressed charges, no investigation was really done, even though
everyone knew who had done it. Obviously, I don't agree with this
situation, but it's proof that sometimes things are let go, even in
worse situations than shooting at an empty vehicle.

Guess you need to retract your bullshit call now, huh?



   
Date: 05 Feb 2009 19:38:05
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 5 2009 10:07 AM, johnnycoconutsftp wrote:

> On Feb 5, 11:30 am, "risky biz" <risky-...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> > He wouldn't be convicted for shotgunning a vehicle that someone is
> > sleeping in when it's not on his property? I call bullshit. Show me one
> > similar example in rural Florida. That shouldn't be hard since you worked
> > in the State Attorney's office.
>
>
> The Spiva case in Bay County in the late 80's or early 90s. The older
> Spiva brother killed a kid and was arrested (and ultimately convicted
> of manslaughter and did about 11 years if I recall). A few weeks
> later his younger brother Lee was driving down the road when his truck
> was shot at by the relatives of the dead kid. The bullet came through
> the rear window and lodged in the metal support column for the
> headrest. In broad daylight. Nobody saw a thing, nobody knew a thing,
> no-one pressed charges, no investigation was really done, even though
> everyone knew who had done it. Obviously, I don't agree with this
> situation, but it's proof that sometimes things are let go, even in
> worse situations than shooting at an empty vehicle.
>
> Guess you need to retract your bullshit call now, huh?

Yeah, as soon as you convince me that a murdered child is the same thing
as a slashed tire. Whatever.

_____________________________________________________________________ 
RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader : www.recgroups.com




    
Date: 06 Feb 2009 08:06:52
From: da pickle
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
"risky biz"

>> Guess you need to retract your bullshit call now, huh?
>
> Yeah, as soon as you convince me that a murdered child is the same thing
> as a slashed tire. Whatever.

This might help.

http://www.rhlschool.com/reading.htm




     
Date: 06 Feb 2009 08:27:41
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 6 2009 7:06 AM, da pickle wrote:

> "risky biz"
>
> >> Guess you need to retract your bullshit call now, huh?
> >
> > Yeah, as soon as you convince me that a murdered child is the same thing
> > as a slashed tire. Whatever.
>
> This might help.
>
> http://www.rhlschool.com/reading.htm

You aren't displaying any intelligence, pickles.

_______________________________________________________________________ 
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com



  
Date: 05 Feb 2009 08:07:50
From:
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 5, 10:54=A0am, "risky biz" <risky-...@sbcglobal.net > wrote:
> On Feb 5 2009 7:11 AM, johnnycoconutsftp wrote:
>
> > On Feb 5, 12:48=A0am, "risky biz" <risky-...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > > Your friends should be locked up right along with the guys who did th=
e
> > > roof.
>
> > - Show quoted text -
>
> > Yup, you've obviously never lived in the panhandle of Florida. =A0If
> > this guy was arrested, not only would he not be convicted, he'd
> > probably get a medal from the jury for doing the right thing and then
> > they'd go outside and have a big 'ole barbeque in his honor.
>
> There's no way anything nearly like that would happen in rural Florida
> where I grew up in the early 1950's. This is just another example of
> internet exaggeration.
>

No way anything like what would happen? The not convicting him part?
Sure it would. The part about the medal and the barbeque is of course
a joke, but then again if I have to point that out, shame on one of us
I guess.

>
> > And as far as the gypsies, trying to screw over a 60 year old redneck
> > in NW FL and then being surprised when he doesn't just sit there and
> > take it is a little like leaving a whorehouse and then complaining
> > that "I just didn't feel loved."
>
> That's goofy sentiment. I don't really have a problem with him ordering
> them off his property at gunpoint but the police could have quickly
> arreted them and they could have been legally forced to compensate him fo=
r
> damage to his roof. Grow up.
>

What you're missing is that no, they would not have been forced to
compensate him. These people are gypsies. They get arrested, get
released on a small bail or probably ROR and you never see them again.
And on top of that, he'd never be able to prove that it was they who
slashed his tires, so they couldn't be charged with that. (But what
the hell do I know. I only worked in the State's Attorney's office for
a little while.) I'm not endorsing vigilantiism overall - the OP was
about scams and I told a story of an attempted scam, I wasn't trying
to get into a huge discussion on taking the law into your own hands.
That having been said, my main point is that there are parts of the
country where people do that at times, and if you're the criminal you
should expect it, right or wrong. (Oh, and there are times that it's
right.)


   
Date: 05 Feb 2009 08:30:38
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 5 2009 9:07 AM, johnnycoconutsftp wrote:

> On Feb 5, 10:54 am, "risky biz" <risky-...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > On Feb 5 2009 7:11 AM, johnnycoconutsftp wrote:
> >
> > > On Feb 5, 12:48 am, "risky biz" <risky-...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > > > Your friends should be locked up right along with the guys who did the
> > > > roof.
> >
> > > - Show quoted text -
> >
> > > Yup, you've obviously never lived in the panhandle of Florida.  If
> > > this guy was arrested, not only would he not be convicted, he'd
> > > probably get a medal from the jury for doing the right thing and then
> > > they'd go outside and have a big 'ole barbeque in his honor.
> >
> > There's no way anything nearly like that would happen in rural Florida
> > where I grew up in the early 1950's. This is just another example of
> > internet exaggeration.
> >
>
> No way anything like what would happen? The not convicting him part?
> Sure it would.

He wouldn't be convicted for shotgunning a vehicle that someone is
sleeping in when it's not on his property? I call bullshit. Show me one
similar example in rural Florida. That shouldn't be hard since you worked
in the State Attorney's office.

> The part about the medal and the barbeque is of course
> a joke, but then again if I have to point that out, shame on one of us
> I guess.
>
> >
> > > And as far as the gypsies, trying to screw over a 60 year old redneck
> > > in NW FL and then being surprised when he doesn't just sit there and
> > > take it is a little like leaving a whorehouse and then complaining
> > > that "I just didn't feel loved."
> >
> > That's goofy sentiment. I don't really have a problem with him ordering
> > them off his property at gunpoint but the police could have quickly
> > arreted them and they could have been legally forced to compensate him for
> > damage to his roof. Grow up.
> >
>
> What you're missing is that no, they would not have been forced to
> compensate him. These people are gypsies.

What you don't get is that it's not OK to endanger someone's life because
you SUSPECT that they slashed your tire or because you don't think they
can be forced to compensate you for a little extra tar on your roof.

> They get arrested, get
> released on a small bail or probably ROR and you never see them again.
> And on top of that, he'd never be able to prove that it was they who
> slashed his tires, so they couldn't be charged with that. (But what
> the hell do I know. I only worked in the State's Attorney's office for
> a little while.) I'm not endorsing vigilantiism overall - the OP was
> about scams and I told a story of an attempted scam, I wasn't trying
> to get into a huge discussion on taking the law into your own hands.
> That having been said, my main point is that there are parts of the
> country where people do that at times, and if you're the criminal you
> should expect it, right or wrong. (Oh, and there are times that it's
> right.)

________________________________________________________________________ 
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com




  
Date: 05 Feb 2009 06:11:05
From:
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 5, 12:48=A0am, "risky biz" <risky-...@sbcglobal.net > wrote:
> On Feb 4 2009 12:52 PM, johnnycoconutsftp wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Feb 4, 1:35=A0pm, "DaVoice" <davoice...@cox.net> wrote:
> > > "BTSinAustin" <a1...@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
>
> > >news:jkqo56xln3.ln2@recgroups.com...
>
> > > > On Feb 2 2009 8:18 PM, WaltWhitman wrote:
>
> > > >> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I =
have
> > > >> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
>
> > > >> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a r=
ow of
> > > >> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up an=
d stop
> > > >> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right=
into
> > > >> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done tha=
t
> twice
> > > >> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen a=
gain
> > > >> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
>
> > > >> Walt
>
> > > It's an old Gypsy scam, like tarring your roof, refinishing your driv=
eway,
> > > slip and fall, etc.
>
> > > --
> > > Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles
>
> > I thought that was the Travelers who did that? Or are they a subset of
> > the gypsies?
>
> > They tried to get a friend of mine years ago. =A0A 60 year old good-ole=
'
> > boy in North FL. He went off to work, came home and these people were
> > redoing his roof. They played the "Oh, we must have done the wrong
> > house, but look, we did almost all of your roof [which they hadn't],
> > can't you give us something for our trouble?" He said, "Sure, let me
> > go get something." =A0He went inside and came out with a shotgun and
> > just stood there. =A0They got the message and left pretty quickly. The
> > next night his tires were slashed. The next night he and another
> > friend of mine found their campground and shot a couple of holes in
> > their truck door at 2 a.m. =A0They came running out of their camper and
> > he just leveled the shotgun at them and asked "We done?". =A0They
> > nodded, off he went, and that was that.
>
> > Good times.
>
> Your friends should be locked up right along with the guys who did the
> roof.
>
> ------=A0
> : the next generation of web-newsreaders :http://www.recgroups.com- Hide =
quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Yup, you've obviously never lived in the panhandle of Florida. If
this guy was arrested, not only would he not be convicted, he'd
probably get a medal from the jury for doing the right thing and then
they'd go outside and have a big 'ole barbeque in his honor.

And as far as the gypsies, trying to screw over a 60 year old redneck
in NW FL and then being surprised when he doesn't just sit there and
take it is a little like leaving a whorehouse and then complaining
that "I just didn't feel loved."



   
Date: 05 Feb 2009 07:54:49
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 5 2009 7:11 AM, johnnycoconutsftp wrote:

> On Feb 5, 12:48 am, "risky biz" <risky-...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > Your friends should be locked up right along with the guys who did the
> > roof.
> >
> - Show quoted text -
>
>
> Yup, you've obviously never lived in the panhandle of Florida. If
> this guy was arrested, not only would he not be convicted, he'd
> probably get a medal from the jury for doing the right thing and then
> they'd go outside and have a big 'ole barbeque in his honor.

There's no way anything nearly like that would happen in rural Florida
where I grew up in the early 1950's. This is just another example of
internet exaggeration.

>
> And as far as the gypsies, trying to screw over a 60 year old redneck
> in NW FL and then being surprised when he doesn't just sit there and
> take it is a little like leaving a whorehouse and then complaining
> that "I just didn't feel loved."

That's goofy sentiment. I don't really have a problem with him ordering
them off his property at gunpoint but the police could have quickly
arreted them and they could have been legally forced to compensate him for
damage to his roof. Grow up.

________________________________________________________________________ 
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com




  
Date: 04 Feb 2009 23:28:41
From: Deadmoney Walking
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam


I thought the Travellers were some kind of imitation Irish. Time for
the wikipedia.

awesome story JohnnyC


  
Date: 04 Feb 2009 11:52:41
From:
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 4, 1:35=A0pm, "DaVoice" <davoice...@cox.net > wrote:
> "BTSinAustin" <a1...@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
>
> news:jkqo56xln3.ln2@recgroups.com...
>
> > On Feb 2 2009 8:18 PM, WaltWhitman wrote:
>
> >> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
> >> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
>
> >> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row o=
f
> >> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and st=
op
> >> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right int=
o
> >> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that tw=
ice
> >> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
> >> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
>
> >> Walt
>
> It's an old Gypsy scam, like tarring your roof, refinishing your driveway=
,
> slip and fall, etc.
>
> --
> Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles


I thought that was the Travelers who did that? Or are they a subset of
the gypsies?

They tried to get a friend of mine years ago. A 60 year old good-ole'
boy in North FL. He went off to work, came home and these people were
redoing his roof. They played the "Oh, we must have done the wrong
house, but look, we did almost all of your roof [which they hadn't],
can't you give us something for our trouble?" He said, "Sure, let me
go get something." He went inside and came out with a shotgun and
just stood there. They got the message and left pretty quickly. The
next night his tires were slashed. The next night he and another
friend of mine found their campground and shot a couple of holes in
their truck door at 2 a.m. They came running out of their camper and
he just leveled the shotgun at them and asked "We done?". They
nodded, off he went, and that was that.

Good times.


.


   
Date: 04 Feb 2009 21:48:49
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 4 2009 12:52 PM, johnnycoconutsftp wrote:

> On Feb 4, 1:35 pm, "DaVoice" <davoice...@cox.net> wrote:
> > "BTSinAustin" <a1...@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > news:jkqo56xln3.ln2@recgroups.com...
> >
> > > On Feb 2 2009 8:18 PM, WaltWhitman wrote:
> >
> > >> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
> > >> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
> >
> > >> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
> > >> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and stop
> > >> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
> > >> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that
twice
> > >> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
> > >> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
> >
> > >> Walt
> >
> > It's an old Gypsy scam, like tarring your roof, refinishing your driveway,
> > slip and fall, etc.
> >
> > --
> > Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles
>
>
> I thought that was the Travelers who did that? Or are they a subset of
> the gypsies?
>
> They tried to get a friend of mine years ago. A 60 year old good-ole'
> boy in North FL. He went off to work, came home and these people were
> redoing his roof. They played the "Oh, we must have done the wrong
> house, but look, we did almost all of your roof [which they hadn't],
> can't you give us something for our trouble?" He said, "Sure, let me
> go get something." He went inside and came out with a shotgun and
> just stood there. They got the message and left pretty quickly. The
> next night his tires were slashed. The next night he and another
> friend of mine found their campground and shot a couple of holes in
> their truck door at 2 a.m. They came running out of their camper and
> he just leveled the shotgun at them and asked "We done?". They
> nodded, off he went, and that was that.
>
> Good times.

Your friends should be locked up right along with the guys who did the
roof.

------ 
: the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com



   
Date: 04 Feb 2009 19:06:58
From: DaVoice
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam

<johnnycoconutsftp@yahoo.com > wrote in message
news:f80cb298-5c8a-41d4-9e10-a8ce0c41d3cf@f3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...
On Feb 4, 1:35 pm, "DaVoice" <davoice...@cox.net > wrote:
> "BTSinAustin" <a1...@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
>
> news:jkqo56xln3.ln2@recgroups.com...
>
> > On Feb 2 2009 8:18 PM, WaltWhitman wrote:
>
> >> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
> >> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
>
> >> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
> >> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and
> >> stop
> >> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
> >> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that
> >> twice
> >> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
> >> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
>
> >> Walt
>
> It's an old Gypsy scam, like tarring your roof, refinishing your driveway,
> slip and fall, etc.
>
> --
> Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles


>I thought that was the Travelers who did that? Or are they a subset of
>the gypsies?

Yes, Travelers are a subset of the Gypsies. Many of them use the same last
name as well, Ristick. You will usually find a large group of them traveling
along with Carnivals, as they own Carnival "joints" as well. about 25% of
them work the Carnival, and the rest work the "Town".


>They tried to get a friend of mine years ago. A 60 year old good-ole'
>boy in North FL. He went off to work, came home and these people were
>redoing his roof. They played the "Oh, we must have done the wrong
>house, but look, we did almost all of your roof [which they hadn't],
>can't you give us something for our trouble?" He said, "Sure, let me
>go get something." He went inside and came out with a shotgun and
>just stood there. They got the message and left pretty quickly. The
>next night his tires were slashed. The next night he and another
>friend of mine found their campground and shot a couple of holes in
>their truck door at 2 a.m. They came running out of their camper and
>he just leveled the shotgun at them and asked "We done?". They
>nodded, off he went, and that was that.

>Good times.


.




    
Date: 06 Feb 2009 09:47:22
From: garycarson
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 4 2009 10:06 PM, DaVoice wrote:

> <johnnycoconutsftp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:f80cb298-5c8a-41d4-9e10-a8ce0c41d3cf@f3g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...
> On Feb 4, 1:35 pm, "DaVoice" <davoice...@cox.net> wrote:
> > "BTSinAustin" <a1...@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > news:jkqo56xln3.ln2@recgroups.com...
> >
> > > On Feb 2 2009 8:18 PM, WaltWhitman wrote:
> >
> > >> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
> > >> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
> >
> > >> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
> > >> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and
> > >> stop
> > >> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
> > >> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that
> > >> twice
> > >> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
> > >> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
> >
> > >> Walt
> >
> > It's an old Gypsy scam, like tarring your roof, refinishing your driveway,
> > slip and fall, etc.
> >
> > --
> > Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles
>
>
> >I thought that was the Travelers who did that? Or are they a subset of
> >the gypsies?
>
> Yes, Travelers are a subset of the Gypsies.

Sigh.

Travelers are Irish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Traveller

Although the Irish and English sometimes use the term gypsy to refer to
travelers, the termk gypsy more typically refers to an ethnic group of
Romanians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsy

Hitler was killing Gypsies for years before he started on Jews.

The traditional gypsy scam is fortune telling. The traditional traveler
scam is handyman stuff (they are often called tinkerers based on handyman
skills). Gypsies used to also engage in kidnapping but Hitler pretty much
put a stop to that.

_____________________________________________________________________ 
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com



  
Date: 04 Feb 2009 10:35:53
From: DaVoice
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam

"BTSinAustin" <a1747@webnntp.invalid > wrote in message
news:jkqo56xln3.ln2@recgroups.com...
> On Feb 2 2009 8:18 PM, WaltWhitman wrote:
>
>> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
>> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
>>
>> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
>> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and stop
>> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
>> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that twice
>> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
>> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
>>
>> Walt

It's an old Gypsy scam, like tarring your roof, refinishing your driveway,
slip and fall, etc.

--
Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles




 
Date: 03 Feb 2009 05:53:09
From: GrouchySmurf1002
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 2 2009 8:18 PM, WaltWhitman wrote:

> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
>
> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and stop
> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that twice
> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!

Ahh... the White Trash Lottery. Yes, this has been happening for years.

______________________________________________________________________ 
RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader : www.recgroups.com




 
Date: 02 Feb 2009 19:29:31
From: risky biz
Subject: Re: New parking lot scam
On Feb 2 2009 6:18 PM, WaltWhitman wrote:

> At first I thought I was imagining things, but in the last week I have
> seen this 3 times and had it happen to me twice.
>
> The Scam goes like this. Somebody in a car waits at the end of a row of
> parked cars, and when somebody starts to back out, they pull up and stop
> in thier path. If the driver is not alert, he(she) will back right into
> the scammers car, resulting in an insurance claim. I have done that twice
> in the last 5 years, so now I am more alert, but I saw it happen again
> this morning, and I am convinced that scammers do this on purpose!
>
> Walt

Are you serious? They do it all the time. Usually they get in front of you
in the street with some pile of junk car while an accomplice bears down on
you from the back . . then the one in front slams on the brakes. You rear
end him and he gets out and offers to settle on the spot and not report
it, which would cause your insurance premiums to go up.

--- 
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com