pokerfied.com
Promoting poker discussions.

Main
Date: 02 Jan 2009 15:35:02
From: Travel A
Subject: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
Discussrec.gambling.pokerHelp



Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
Group: rec.gambling.poker
Date: Fri, Jan 2, 2009, 12:37am (PST+3)
From: Irish Mike <mjostar@ameritech.net >


I don't like to buy DVDs because just about every thing is available for
down load from the internet. So when I do buy a DVD, it's one I know
I'll watch more than once. I have 152 DVDs in my personal library but
many of them are Irish or Irish-related which I won't bother listing.
The following are my top 50 favorites, listed in alphabetical order.
You'll note that several of them are HBO series and that two (Appaloosa
and True Blood) are not yet available for purchase. I'll buy them as
soon as they become available on DVD. Now I'm not saying these are all
great movies, I'm just saying they're my favorites. If you've got a
similar list of favorites, and don't mind posting, I'd ld like to see
it.

Aliens


Appaloosa


Black Hawk Down


Braveheart


Cincinnati Kid


Comanche Moon


Dark of the Sun


Dead Man's Walk


Deadwood Seasons One - Three


Devil's Own, The


Dog's Of War


Flesh And Blood


Gangs Of New York


Getaway, The


Gladiator


Godfather


Godfather II


Heat


Highlander


Jackal, The


Last Of The Mohicans, The


Lethal Weapon


Lonesome Dove


Long Riders


Lucky You


No Mercy


NYPD Blue, Seasons One to Four


Payback


Pitch Black


Platoon


Predator


Pride And Prejudice (Fuck you, I'm a sensitive guy)


Rambo IV


Road Warrior


Rome Seasons One and Two


Rounders


Saving Private Ryan


Searchers, The


Sharpe Collection 1 - 15


Soldier


Sopranos Seasons One - Six


Streets Of Laredo


Tears Of The Sun


Terminator


True Blood Season One


Unforgiven


Waterworld


We Were Soldiers Once


Wild Bunch


Zulu




Irish Mike

..........................................................................................


I agree with quite a few on your list, (the "Godfather", "Rome"
"Deadwood", "The Last Of The Mohicans" etc., that would also be on my
own list) but I'd hesitate to post a top 50 of my own. It would take a
hard to do process of elimination to come up with fifty personal
favorites.

However, I'll throw a few out there that would be on my own top fifty
personal favorites list.



"Hard Times": with James Coburn and Charles Bronson. It's one of the
best movies ever made, imo. It's one of those really solid movies that
gets overlooked but it's flawless, right down to a great ending.

"The Day Of The Jackal"

Roman Polanski's "Chinatown". Actualy, it's Jack Nicholson's "Chinatown"
as well.

"Barry Lyndon". I've read quite a bit of William Makepeace Thackeray's
social commentary and the movie "Barry Lyndon" was a totally satisfying
adaptation of the book with spectacular photography; as well as being a
great action/adventure period piece with court intrigue, fencing and
pistol duels, military battles and gambling. (card games!)


Roman Polanki's "The Fearless Vampire Killers".

Again, through my own reading, I've appreciated certain movies. After a
period of reading Gothic novels and Gothic Horror as Dracula,
Frankenstein, Edgar Allan Poe's novels, Daphne Du Maurier's "Rebecca"
and many others, a personal favorites list would include:



"The Fearless Vampire Killers"

(this movie was trashed by the critics when it first came out; and now,
decades later, they're praising it; actually they started appreciating
"The Fearless Vampire Killers" about ten years ago)




"Rebecca" with Lawrence Olivier.

(The novel "Rebecca", by Daphne Du Maurier has, arguably, one of the
greatest opening lines, ever: "Last Night I Dreamt I Went Back To
Mandalay again." Dicken's opening line in "A Tale Of Two Cities" I think
we all know, but Du Maurier's is pretty good.


At least one of the great Vincent Price- Edgar Allan Poe movies.

....

"Damn The Defiant"

From Reading the Napoleonic wars period: "Damn The Defiant" with Alec
Guinness and Dirk Bogard. Great movie. "

'Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe is another great subject
specific (ships) movie of the period.



"The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes" as an opinion of the best
Sherlock Holmes (Robert Stephens) movie; an appreciation from reading
everything that Arthur Conan Doyle ever wrote.


Reading Edward Gibbon and Roman historians of the time: "Spartacus",
"Gladiator"; "I Claudius" I read before the PBS series.

That's a few.

So, a lot of my favorite movies are tied into my own reading and
interests. I think that's probably true of a lot of people.









 
Date: 18 Jan 2009 17:43:05
From:
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
W;t. Emma Thompson
Best of the Best


 
Date: 06 Jan 2009 19:30:33
From: OTB
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
On Jan 4, 7:03=A0am, "Beldin the Sorcerer" <beldin...@verizon.net >
wrote:
> "OTB" <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:35c46705-52be-4f15-aa66-eba2ce2d1c48@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com...
> On Jan 4, 2:33 am, "Beldin the Sorcerer" <beldin...@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > "OTB" <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> >news:5c816254-6473-4fb1-9b37-27e868e7334d@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com..=
.
> > On Jan 3, 2:39 pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
> > > Best line was when Meg Ryan
>
> > Not Meg. Someone else who looks a little like her, though.
>
> > But speaking of Meg Ryan, the fake orgasm scene from "When Harry Met
> > Sally" is a keeper.
>
> > I have to apologize to Mike.
> > YOU"RE the idiot who can't read the credits. Mike just can't mark his p=
ost
> > up to see someone else wrote that idiocy
>
> > It's meg, moron
>
> Wow, I guess I am a moron. =A0I thought he was talking about
> Kelly McGillis. =A0I'll have to see that movie again. =A0I don't remember
> Meg Ryan's part in it at all.
> ***
> Goose's wife.
> Small part. She was a smaller star then.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Ah, it was on HBO tonight, and I happened to flip to it just before
the scene where (a very young) Meg Ryan says the line. But
then a few minutes later Kelly McGillis repeats the same line!
So I was half right. Does that make me a half-moron?



  
Date: 11 Jan 2009 02:48:01
From: Beldin the Sorcerer
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"OTB" <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:709b0d44-15ca-4c78-a85b-93d0b35ca924@i20g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
On Jan 4, 7:03 am, "Beldin the Sorcerer" <beldin...@verizon.net >
wrote:
> "OTB" <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:35c46705-52be-4f15-aa66-eba2ce2d1c48@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com...
> On Jan 4, 2:33 am, "Beldin the Sorcerer" <beldin...@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > "OTB" <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> >news:5c816254-6473-4fb1-9b37-27e868e7334d@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
> > On Jan 3, 2:39 pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
> > > Best line was when Meg Ryan
>
> > Not Meg. Someone else who looks a little like her, though.
>
> > But speaking of Meg Ryan, the fake orgasm scene from "When Harry Met
> > Sally" is a keeper.
>
> > I have to apologize to Mike.
> > YOU"RE the idiot who can't read the credits. Mike just can't mark his
> > post
> > up to see someone else wrote that idiocy
>
> > It's meg, moron
>
> Wow, I guess I am a moron. I thought he was talking about
> Kelly McGillis. I'll have to see that movie again. I don't remember
> Meg Ryan's part in it at all.
> ***
> Goose's wife.
> Small part. She was a smaller star then.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Ah, it was on HBO tonight, and I happened to flip to it just before
the scene where (a very young) Meg Ryan says the line. But
then a few minutes later Kelly McGillis repeats the same line!
So I was half right. Does that make me a half-moron?
***
Not unless she was claiming to be Mav's wife....

Original cite :
Best line was when Meg Ryan says to the guy who played
> her husband "Come on you big stud - take me to bed or lose me forever."





 
Date: 04 Jan 2009 04:48:42
From: OTB
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
On Jan 4, 2:33=A0am, "Beldin the Sorcerer" <beldin...@verizon.net >
wrote:
> "OTB" <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:5c816254-6473-4fb1-9b37-27e868e7334d@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
> On Jan 3, 2:39 pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
> > Best line was when Meg Ryan
>
> Not Meg. =A0Someone else who looks a little like her, though.
>
> But speaking of Meg Ryan, the fake orgasm scene from "When Harry Met
> Sally" is a keeper.
>
> I have to apologize to Mike.
> YOU"RE the idiot who can't read the credits. Mike just can't mark his pos=
t
> up to see someone else wrote that idiocy
>
> It's meg, moron

Wow, I guess I am a moron. I thought he was talking about
Kelly McGillis. I'll have to see that movie again. I don't remember
Meg Ryan's part in it at all.


  
Date: 04 Jan 2009 13:03:55
From: Beldin the Sorcerer
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"OTB" <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:35c46705-52be-4f15-aa66-eba2ce2d1c48@e1g2000pra.googlegroups.com...
On Jan 4, 2:33 am, "Beldin the Sorcerer" <beldin...@verizon.net >
wrote:
> "OTB" <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:5c816254-6473-4fb1-9b37-27e868e7334d@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
> On Jan 3, 2:39 pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
> > Best line was when Meg Ryan
>
> Not Meg. Someone else who looks a little like her, though.
>
> But speaking of Meg Ryan, the fake orgasm scene from "When Harry Met
> Sally" is a keeper.
>
> I have to apologize to Mike.
> YOU"RE the idiot who can't read the credits. Mike just can't mark his post
> up to see someone else wrote that idiocy
>
> It's meg, moron

Wow, I guess I am a moron. I thought he was talking about
Kelly McGillis. I'll have to see that movie again. I don't remember
Meg Ryan's part in it at all.
***
Goose's wife.
Small part. She was a smaller star then.





 
Date: 03 Jan 2009 22:54:29
From: OTB
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
On Jan 4, 12:25=A0am, OTB <bighorn_b...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On Jan 3, 4:08=A0pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > "NG-USER-777" <NGUSER...@net.com> wrote in message
>
> >news:m6R7l.1368$FM6.831@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...
>
> > > What about "Open Range"?
>
> > > That and "Unforgiven" are two of the best.
>
> > I included "Unforgiven" in my list. =A0"Open Range" was very good as we=
ll. =A0I
> > thought the shoot out scene at the end was well filmed. =A0Although, if=
I
> > recall correctly, Kevin Costner did fire about 11 shots from his six sh=
ooter
> > without reloading. =A0I liked the scene where Robert Duvall reveals tha=
t his
> > read name is "Blue Bonnet". =A0Reminded me of the old Scottish tune, Bl=
ue
> > Bonnets Over The Border.
>
> > If you liked those two, I'd recommend Appaloosa with Ed Harris and Virg=
o
> > Mortensen. =A0It's due to be released on DVD next week and follows that=
same
> > understated style. =A0A pretty good older western that is frequently ov=
er
> > looked is "Stalking Moon" with Gregory Peck. =A0And, needless to say,
> > "Lonesome Dove" is still one of the best of all time.
>
> > Irish Mike
>
> Lonesome Dove & Unforgiven are the best. =A0I also like
> Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (for the Dylan soundtrack if nothing else)
> and Missouri Breaks. =A0And, of course, High Noon.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D8MgubwywhiU&feature=3Drelated


 
Date: 03 Jan 2009 22:25:21
From: OTB
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
On Jan 3, 4:08=A0pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net > wrote:
> "NG-USER-777" <NGUSER...@net.com> wrote in message
>
> news:m6R7l.1368$FM6.831@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...
>
> > What about "Open Range"?
>
> > That and "Unforgiven" are two of the best.
>
> I included "Unforgiven" in my list. =A0"Open Range" was very good as well=
. =A0I
> thought the shoot out scene at the end was well filmed. =A0Although, if I
> recall correctly, Kevin Costner did fire about 11 shots from his six shoo=
ter
> without reloading. =A0I liked the scene where Robert Duvall reveals that =
his
> read name is "Blue Bonnet". =A0Reminded me of the old Scottish tune, Blue
> Bonnets Over The Border.
>
> If you liked those two, I'd recommend Appaloosa with Ed Harris and Virgo
> Mortensen. =A0It's due to be released on DVD next week and follows that s=
ame
> understated style. =A0A pretty good older western that is frequently over
> looked is "Stalking Moon" with Gregory Peck. =A0And, needless to say,
> "Lonesome Dove" is still one of the best of all time.
>
> Irish Mike

Lonesome Dove & Unforgiven are the best. I also like
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (for the Dylan soundtrack if nothing else)
and Missouri Breaks. And, of course, High Noon.


  
Date: 04 Jan 2009 02:01:48
From: Irish Mike
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"OTB" <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:ba296225-91df-4bbd-8d2f-5a747a0fa59b@r37g2000prr.googlegroups.com...
On Jan 3, 4:08 pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net > wrote:
> "NG-USER-777" <NGUSER...@net.com> wrote in message
>
> news:m6R7l.1368$FM6.831@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...
>
> > What about "Open Range"?
>
> > That and "Unforgiven" are two of the best.
>
> I included "Unforgiven" in my list. "Open Range" was very good as well. I
> thought the shoot out scene at the end was well filmed. Although, if I
> recall correctly, Kevin Costner did fire about 11 shots from his six
> shooter
> without reloading. I liked the scene where Robert Duvall reveals that his
> read name is "Blue Bonnet". Reminded me of the old Scottish tune, Blue
> Bonnets Over The Border.
>
> If you liked those two, I'd recommend Appaloosa with Ed Harris and Virgo
> Mortensen. It's due to be released on DVD next week and follows that same
> understated style. A pretty good older western that is frequently over
> looked is "Stalking Moon" with Gregory Peck. And, needless to say,
> "Lonesome Dove" is still one of the best of all time.
>
> Irish Mike

Lonesome Dove & Unforgiven are the best. I also like
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (for the Dylan soundtrack if nothing else)
and Missouri Breaks. And, of course, High Noon.

"Missouri Breaks" was a classic. Nicholson was good and Marlon Brando was
the over-the-to. If you liked Nicholson in this one, then check out "Going
South". Now that was a funny western.

Irish Mike




 
Date: 03 Jan 2009 22:19:49
From: OTB
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
On Jan 3, 2:39=A0pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net > wrote:
> Best line was when Meg Ryan

Not Meg. Someone else who looks a little like her, though.

But speaking of Meg Ryan, the fake orgasm scene from "When Harry Met
Sally" is a keeper.


  
Date: 04 Jan 2009 08:33:25
From: Beldin the Sorcerer
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"OTB" <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:5c816254-6473-4fb1-9b37-27e868e7334d@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
On Jan 3, 2:39 pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net > wrote:
> Best line was when Meg Ryan

Not Meg. Someone else who looks a little like her, though.

But speaking of Meg Ryan, the fake orgasm scene from "When Harry Met
Sally" is a keeper.

I have to apologize to Mike.
YOU"RE the idiot who can't read the credits. Mike just can't mark his post
up to see someone else wrote that idiocy

It's meg, moron




  
Date: 04 Jan 2009 01:58:17
From: Irish Mike
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"OTB" <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:5c816254-6473-4fb1-9b37-27e868e7334d@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
On Jan 3, 2:39 pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net > wrote:
> Best line was when Meg Ryan

Not Meg. Someone else who looks a little like her, though.

But speaking of Meg Ryan, the fake orgasm scene from "When Harry Met
Sally" is a keeper.

Bingo! We have a winner.

Irish Mike




   
Date: 04 Jan 2009 07:08:31
From: Beldin the Sorcerer
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"Irish Mike" <mjostar@ameritech.net > wrote in message
news:a6Z7l.9772$W06.594@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com...
>
> "OTB" <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:5c816254-6473-4fb1-9b37-27e868e7334d@a12g2000pro.googlegroups.com...
> On Jan 3, 2:39 pm, "Irish Mike" <mjos...@ameritech.net> wrote:
>> Best line was when Meg Ryan
>
> Not Meg. Someone else who looks a little like her, though.

Irish the drunken retard, ladies and gentlemen!

[edit] Cast
a.. Tom Cruise as Lt. Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell
b.. Kelly McGillis as Charlotte 'Charlie' Blackwood
c.. Val Kilmer as Lt. Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky
d.. Anthony Edwards as Lt. (j.g.) Nick 'Goose' Bradshaw
e.. Tom Skerritt as Cmdr. Mike 'Viper' Metcalf
f.. Meg Ryan as Carol Bradshaw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun_(film)#Cast




 
Date: 03 Jan 2009 16:54:44
From: NG-USER-777
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
What about "Open Range"?

That and "Unforgiven" are two of the best.


  
Date: 03 Jan 2009 17:08:49
From: Irish Mike
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"NG-USER-777" <NGUSER777@net.com > wrote in message
news:m6R7l.1368$FM6.831@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...
> What about "Open Range"?
>
> That and "Unforgiven" are two of the best.

I included "Unforgiven" in my list. "Open Range" was very good as well. I
thought the shoot out scene at the end was well filmed. Although, if I
recall correctly, Kevin Costner did fire about 11 shots from his six shooter
without reloading. I liked the scene where Robert Duvall reveals that his
read name is "Blue Bonnet". Reminded me of the old Scottish tune, Blue
Bonnets Over The Border.

If you liked those two, I'd recommend Appaloosa with Ed Harris and Virgo
Mortensen. It's due to be released on DVD next week and follows that same
understated style. A pretty good older western that is frequently over
looked is "Stalking Moon" with Gregory Peck. And, needless to say,
"Lonesome Dove" is still one of the best of all time.

Irish Mike




   
Date: 03 Jan 2009 19:00:24
From: NG-USER-777
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
Irish Mike wrote:
> "NG-USER-777" <NGUSER777@net.com> wrote in message
> news:m6R7l.1368$FM6.831@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com...
>> What about "Open Range"?
>>
>> That and "Unforgiven" are two of the best.
>
> I included "Unforgiven" in my list. "Open Range" was very good as well. I
> thought the shoot out scene at the end was well filmed. Although, if I
> recall correctly, Kevin Costner did fire about 11 shots from his six shooter
> without reloading. I liked the scene where Robert Duvall reveals that his
> read name is "Blue Bonnet". Reminded me of the old Scottish tune, Blue
> Bonnets Over The Border.
>
> If you liked those two, I'd recommend Appaloosa with Ed Harris and Virgo
> Mortensen. It's due to be released on DVD next week and follows that same
> understated style. A pretty good older western that is frequently over
> looked is "Stalking Moon" with Gregory Peck. And, needless to say,
> "Lonesome Dove" is still one of the best of all time.

Appaloosa is already in my queue at Netflix. I'll check out the others,
Thanks.


 
Date: 03 Jan 2009 07:42:33
From: Qdog223
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
You missed "Top Gun"

Qdog223

________________________________________________________________________ 
RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader : www.recgroups.com




  
Date: 03 Jan 2009 17:07:23
From: Travel A
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
Steve McQueen made some fine westerns. They get overlooked for some
reason, I do it myself. I just saw Nevada Smith again lately, and it
brought the Steve McQueen westerns to mind.

There's "Nevada Smith", "Tom Horn" and Peckinpah's: "Junior Bonner". All
good, traditional westerns.



   
Date: 03 Jan 2009 23:39:31
From: Irish Mike
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"Travel A" <nine510@webtv.net > wrote in message
news:9372-49600BCB-6564@baytvnwsxa002.msntv.msn.com...
> Steve McQueen made some fine westerns. They get overlooked for some
> reason, I do it myself. I just saw Nevada Smith again lately, and it
> brought the Steve McQueen westerns to mind.
>
> There's "Nevada Smith", "Tom Horn" and Peckinpah's: "Junior Bonner". All
> good, traditional westerns.

"Nevada Smith" was excellent and also had a plot tie-in with "Carpet
Baggers". I've never watched "Junior Bonner" all the way through, so I put
it in my Blockbuster Online queue. Now "Tom Horn" I didn't care for too
much, although I believe the movie is based on a real life person.

Irish Mike




  
Date: 03 Jan 2009 15:39:16
From: Irish Mike
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"Qdog223" <a6ae195@webnntp.invalid > wrote in message
news:9kd436xpsi.ln2@recgroups.com...
> You missed "Top Gun"
>
> Qdog223

It is a good movie. In fact, when I was in San Diego I stopped in the bar
that they used in the movie. Sign out side says "Sleazy bar scene from "Top
Gun" filmed here". Best line was when Meg Ryan says to the guy who played
her husband "Come on you big stud - take me to bed or lose me forever."
I've been waiting for Shana Hiatt to call me up and say that ever since I
saw the movie. She hasn't called yet but I live in hope.

Irish Mike





   
Date: 03 Jan 2009 21:54:30
From: brewmaster
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
On Jan 3 2009 12:39 PM, Irish Mike wrote:

> "Qdog223" <a6ae195@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
> news:9kd436xpsi.ln2@recgroups.com...
> > You missed "Top Gun"
> >
> > Qdog223
>
> It is a good movie. In fact, when I was in San Diego I stopped in the bar
> that they used in the movie. Sign out side says "Sleazy bar scene from "Top
> Gun" filmed here". Best line was when Meg Ryan says to the guy who played
> her husband "Come on you big stud - take me to bed or lose me forever."
> I've been waiting for Shana Hiatt to call me up and say that ever since I
> saw the movie. She hasn't called yet but I live in hope.

Top Gun is a chick flick as they come.

>
> Irish Mike


Brew
--
Email me here: http://tinymail.me/k4r2nk

--- 
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com




    
Date: 04 Jan 2009 01:57:18
From: Irish Mike
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"brewmaster" <a163b@webnntp.invalid > wrote in message
news:mhv536x65p.ln2@recgroups.com...
> On Jan 3 2009 12:39 PM, Irish Mike wrote:
>
>> "Qdog223" <a6ae195@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:9kd436xpsi.ln2@recgroups.com...
>> > You missed "Top Gun"
>> >
>> > Qdog223
>>
>> It is a good movie. In fact, when I was in San Diego I stopped in the
>> bar
>> that they used in the movie. Sign out side says "Sleazy bar scene from
>> "Top
>> Gun" filmed here". Best line was when Meg Ryan says to the guy who
>> played
>> her husband "Come on you big stud - take me to bed or lose me forever."
>> I've been waiting for Shana Hiatt to call me up and say that ever since I
>> saw the movie. She hasn't called yet but I live in hope.
>
> Top Gun is a chick flick as they come.
>
>>
>> Irish Mike
>
>
> Brew

Maybe you just ain't the sensitive, refined type.

Irish Mike




     
Date: 10 Jan 2009 19:41:38
From: brewmaster
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
On Jan 3 2009 10:57 PM, Irish Mike wrote:

> "brewmaster" <a163b@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
> news:mhv536x65p.ln2@recgroups.com...
> > On Jan 3 2009 12:39 PM, Irish Mike wrote:
> >
> >> "Qdog223" <a6ae195@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
> >> news:9kd436xpsi.ln2@recgroups.com...
> >> > You missed "Top Gun"
> >> >
> >> > Qdog223
> >>
> >> It is a good movie. In fact, when I was in San Diego I stopped in the
> >> bar
> >> that they used in the movie. Sign out side says "Sleazy bar scene from
> >> "Top
> >> Gun" filmed here". Best line was when Meg Ryan says to the guy who
> >> played
> >> her husband "Come on you big stud - take me to bed or lose me forever."
> >> I've been waiting for Shana Hiatt to call me up and say that ever since I
> >> saw the movie. She hasn't called yet but I live in hope.
> >
> > Top Gun is a chick flick as they come.
> >
> >>
> >> Irish Mike
> >
> >
> > Brew
>
> Maybe you just ain't the sensitive, refined type.

You are?

>
> Irish Mike


Brew
--
Email me here: http://tinymail.me/k4r2nk

_____________________________________________________________________ 
: the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com



      
Date: 11 Jan 2009 11:26:46
From: Irish Mike
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"brewmaster" <a163b@webnntp.invalid > wrote in message
news:ic6o36xg3h.ln2@recgroups.com...
> On Jan 3 2009 10:57 PM, Irish Mike wrote:
>
>> "brewmaster" <a163b@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:mhv536x65p.ln2@recgroups.com...
>> > On Jan 3 2009 12:39 PM, Irish Mike wrote:
>> >
>> >> "Qdog223" <a6ae195@webnntp.invalid> wrote in message
>> >> news:9kd436xpsi.ln2@recgroups.com...
>> >> > You missed "Top Gun"
>> >> >
>> >> > Qdog223
>> >>
>> >> It is a good movie. In fact, when I was in San Diego I stopped in the
>> >> bar
>> >> that they used in the movie. Sign out side says "Sleazy bar scene
>> >> from
>> >> "Top
>> >> Gun" filmed here". Best line was when Meg Ryan says to the guy who
>> >> played
>> >> her husband "Come on you big stud - take me to bed or lose me
>> >> forever."
>> >> I've been waiting for Shana Hiatt to call me up and say that ever
>> >> since I
>> >> saw the movie. She hasn't called yet but I live in hope.
>> >
>> > Top Gun is a chick flick as they come.
>> >
>> >>
>> >> Irish Mike
>> >
>> >
>> > Brew
>>
>> Maybe you just ain't the sensitive, refined type.
>
> You are?

Yor're fuckin' right I am and I'll stomp the shit out of any ass wipe who
says I ain't.

Irish Mike





 
Date: 02 Jan 2009 19:18:20
From: Irish Mike
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series

"Travel A" <nine510@webtv.net > wrote in message
news:8777-495EA4A6-6121@baytvnwsxa001.msntv.msn.com...
> Discussrec.gambling.pokerHelp
>
>
>
> Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
> Group: rec.gambling.poker
> Date: Fri, Jan 2, 2009, 12:37am (PST+3)
> From: Irish Mike <mjostar@ameritech.net>
>
>
> I don't like to buy DVDs because just about every thing is available for
> down load from the internet. So when I do buy a DVD, it's one I know
> I'll watch more than once. I have 152 DVDs in my personal library but
> many of them are Irish or Irish-related which I won't bother listing.
> The following are my top 50 favorites, listed in alphabetical order.
> You'll note that several of them are HBO series and that two (Appaloosa
> and True Blood) are not yet available for purchase. I'll buy them as
> soon as they become available on DVD. Now I'm not saying these are all
> great movies, I'm just saying they're my favorites. If you've got a
> similar list of favorites, and don't mind posting, I'd ld like to see
> it.
>
> Aliens
>
>
> Appaloosa
>
>
> Black Hawk Down
>
>
> Braveheart
>
>
> Cincinnati Kid
>
>
> Comanche Moon
>
>
> Dark of the Sun
>
>
> Dead Man's Walk
>
>
> Deadwood Seasons One - Three
>
>
> Devil's Own, The
>
>
> Dog's Of War
>
>
> Flesh And Blood
>
>
> Gangs Of New York
>
>
> Getaway, The
>
>
> Gladiator
>
>
> Godfather
>
>
> Godfather II
>
>
> Heat
>
>
> Highlander
>
>
> Jackal, The
>
>
> Last Of The Mohicans, The
>
>
> Lethal Weapon
>
>
> Lonesome Dove
>
>
> Long Riders
>
>
> Lucky You
>
>
> No Mercy
>
>
> NYPD Blue, Seasons One to Four
>
>
> Payback
>
>
> Pitch Black
>
>
> Platoon
>
>
> Predator
>
>
> Pride And Prejudice (Fuck you, I'm a sensitive guy)
>
>
> Rambo IV
>
>
> Road Warrior
>
>
> Rome Seasons One and Two
>
>
> Rounders
>
>
> Saving Private Ryan
>
>
> Searchers, The
>
>
> Sharpe Collection 1 - 15
>
>
> Soldier
>
>
> Sopranos Seasons One - Six
>
>
> Streets Of Laredo
>
>
> Tears Of The Sun
>
>
> Terminator
>
>
> True Blood Season One
>
>
> Unforgiven
>
>
> Waterworld
>
>
> We Were Soldiers Once
>
>
> Wild Bunch
>
>
> Zulu
>
>
>
>
> Irish Mike
>
> ..........................................................................................
>
>
> I agree with quite a few on your list, (the "Godfather", "Rome"
> "Deadwood", "The Last Of The Mohicans" etc., that would also be on my
> own list) but I'd hesitate to post a top 50 of my own. It would take a
> hard to do process of elimination to come up with fifty personal
> favorites.
>
> However, I'll throw a few out there that would be on my own top fifty
> personal favorites list.
>
>
>
> "Hard Times": with James Coburn and Charles Bronson. It's one of the
> best movies ever made, imo. It's one of those really solid movies that
> gets overlooked but it's flawless, right down to a great ending.

I agree. My favorite line is then Bronson is getting ready to fight the
cajun guy in front of a crowd of his rough neck looking buddies. Strother
Martin warns Bronson, "Be careful, these boys are not refined".

> "The Day Of The Jackal"

Yep, both versions were good.
>
> Roman Polanski's "Chinatown". Actualy, it's Jack Nicholson's "Chinatown"
> as well.

A little too artsy-fartsy for my taste.
>
> "Barry Lyndon". I've read quite a bit of William Makepeace Thackeray's
> social commentary and the movie "Barry Lyndon" was a totally satisfying
> adaptation of the book with spectacular photography; as well as being a
> great action/adventure period piece with court intrigue, fencing and
> pistol duels, military battles and gambling. (card games!)

Well fookin' right! This is one of the "Irish-related" ones that I didn't
include. My favorite line is when Barry (Ryan O'Neil) takes off because
they trick him in to thinking he killed the rich suitor in a duel. He is
later told that his true love "was so distraught she had to console herself
by taking a husband".

> Roman Polanki's "The Fearless Vampire Killers".

I think there are better flicks and, truth be told, I'll never be a Roman
Polanki fan.
>
> Again, through my own reading, I've appreciated certain movies. After a
> period of reading Gothic novels and Gothic Horror as Dracula,
> Frankenstein, Edgar Allan Poe's novels, Daphne Du Maurier's "Rebecca"
> and many others, a personal favorites list would include:
>
>
>
> "The Fearless Vampire Killers"
>
> (this movie was trashed by the critics when it first came out; and now,
> decades later, they're praising it; actually they started appreciating
> "The Fearless Vampire Killers" about ten years ago)
>
>
>
>
> "Rebecca" with Lawrence Olivier.
>
> (The novel "Rebecca", by Daphne Du Maurier has, arguably, one of the
> greatest opening lines, ever: "Last Night I Dreamt I Went Back To
> Mandalay again." Dicken's opening line in "A Tale Of Two Cities" I think
> we all know, but Du Maurier's is pretty good.
>
>
> At least one of the great Vincent Price- Edgar Allan Poe movies.
>
> ....
>
> "Damn The Defiant"
>
> From Reading the Napoleonic wars period: "Damn The Defiant" with Alec
> Guinness and Dirk Bogard. Great movie. "
>
> 'Master and Commander" with Russell Crowe is another great subject
> specific (ships) movie of the period.
>
>
>
> "The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes" as an opinion of the best
> Sherlock Holmes (Robert Stephens) movie; an appreciation from reading
> everything that Arthur Conan Doyle ever wrote.
>
>
> Reading Edward Gibbon and Roman historians of the time: "Spartacus",
> "Gladiator"; "I Claudius" I read before the PBS series.
>
> That's a few.
>
> So, a lot of my favorite movies are tied into my own reading and
> interests. I think that's probably true of a lot of people.


>
>
>
>
>




 
Date: 02 Jan 2009 15:49:12
From: Travel A
Subject: Re: Irish Mike's Top 50 Movies & HBO Series
I tried to post the above to the original thread, but the news reader
lost the automatic "thread title" somehow, and I had to fill in the
"subject line" which created a separate thread.