pokerfied.com
Promoting poker discussions.

Main
Date: 30 Dec 2008 09:44:42
From: DaVoice
Subject: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few
weeks and we all have come to the conclusion that PokerStars really screwed
the pooch with the timing of their "Guiness World Record attempt
Tournament". Why?

If and when the United States "carves out" online poker from the UIGEA, it
will NOT be retroactive. We can debate the legality of online poker in the
U.S. til we're blue in the face, but if there comes a time when the Gubmint
decides to "Allow, regulate and tax" online poker The three biggest U.S.
casino corporations already have partnerships with overseas outlets that DO
NOT take deposits or players from the U.S. presently, and PartyPoker and the
others that immediately pulled themselves from the U.S. Market will be the
front of the line,

Full Tilt, Absolute, Doyles Room, the other 100 or so that still take U.S.
players and deposits and especially PokerStars will NEVER be granted
licensing because they thumbed their noses at the UIGEA and PokerStars
having so many U.S. players making the money, including the WINNER of
$30,000 being from VERMONT is going to bring down the HAMMER on their
chances of EVER being granted a U.S. license. I have always loved PStars,
they were a great sponsor of mine, the owners are good people, many of the
people that run the day to day operations and those that did, but left after
the UIGEA passed are good friends of mine, but I think this type of HUBRIS
will be their U.S. downfall, IF there is ever a "carve-out" and U.S.
licensing of online poker.

JMHO
--
Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles






 
Date: 31 Dec 2008 06:39:16
From: XaQ Morphy
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
On Dec 30 2008 11:44 AM, DaVoice wrote:

See, this is what's wrong with RGP these days.

Example A: Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed
themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?

Example B:
> I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few
> weeks and we all have come to the conclusion that PokerStars really screwed
> the pooch with the timing of their "Guiness World Record attempt
> Tournament". Why?

Answer: no, you aren't the only one since you already admitted to talking
to someone else who agrees with you.

At least label this nonsense as a rhetorical question before you ask
people for answers.

---
Morphy
xaqmorphy@donkeymanifesto.com
http://www.donkeymanifesto.com
"SHUT UP IDIOT" --The Great Patholio

_____________________________________________________________________ 
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com




  
Date: 31 Dec 2008 10:03:54
From: DaVoice
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?

"XaQ Morphy" <a1c5905@webnntp.invalid > wrote in message
news:kpcs26xs21.ln2@recgroups.com...
> On Dec 30 2008 11:44 AM, DaVoice wrote:
>
> See, this is what's wrong with RGP these days.
>
> Example A: Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed
> themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
>
> Example B:
>> I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few
>> weeks and we all have come to the conclusion that PokerStars really
>> screwed
>> the pooch with the timing of their "Guiness World Record attempt
>> Tournament". Why?
>
> Answer: no, you aren't the only one since you already admitted to talking
> to someone else who agrees with you.
>
> At least label this nonsense as a rhetorical question before you ask
> people for answers.
>
> ---
> Morphy

Actually, I was going to change the header, but forgot to. I didn't count
to 10 before hiting send, sorry it disturbed you so much.
:)

--
Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles




   
Date: 31 Dec 2008 10:47:58
From: XaQ Morphy
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
On Dec 31 2008 12:03 PM, DaVoice wrote:

> Actually, I was going to change the header, but forgot to. I didn't count
> to 10 before hiting send, sorry it disturbed you so much.
> :)

You should read the other thread and develop a posting routine. Make sure
you follow it before hitting send on every RGP post so they can't tell
what your intentions are!

---
Morphy
xaqmorphy@donkeymanifesto.com
http://www.donkeymanifesto.com
"SHUT UP IDIOT" --The Great Patholio

_____________________________________________________________________ 
RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader : www.recgroups.com




  
Date: 31 Dec 2008 06:45:59
From: garycarson
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
On Dec 31 2008 9:39 AM, XaQ Morphy wrote:

> On Dec 30 2008 11:44 AM, DaVoice wrote:
>
> See, this is what's wrong with RGP these days.
>
> Example A: Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed
> themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
>
> Example B:
> > I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few
> > weeks and we all have come to the conclusion that PokerStars really
screwed
> > the pooch with the timing of their "Guiness World Record attempt
> > Tournament". Why?
>
> Answer: no, you aren't the only one since you already admitted to talking
> to someone else who agrees with you.
>
> At least label this nonsense as a rhetorical question before you ask
> people for answers.
>

He's trying to audition for a job with Sean Hannity

-------- 
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com



   
Date: 31 Dec 2008 06:47:36
From: XaQ Morphy
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
On Dec 31 2008 8:45 AM, garycarson wrote:

> He's trying to audition for a job with Sean Hannity

I thought it was more like "hmm, maybe if I post something to RGP showing
that I'm a big time poker guy and I know all of the people 'in the
industry' then various RGPers will keep sending me $5 at a time to feed my
poker habit!".

---
Morphy
xaqmorphy@donkeymanifesto.com
http://www.donkeymanifesto.com
"SHUT UP IDIOT" --The Great Patholio

--- 
RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader : www.recgroups.com




    
Date: 31 Dec 2008 10:12:58
From: DaVoice
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?

"XaQ Morphy" <a1c5905@webnntp.invalid > wrote in message
news:89ds26xq41.ln2@recgroups.com...
> On Dec 31 2008 8:45 AM, garycarson wrote:
>
>> He's trying to audition for a job with Sean Hannity
>
> I thought it was more like "hmm, maybe if I post something to RGP showing
> that I'm a big time poker guy and I know all of the people 'in the
> industry' then various RGPers will keep sending me $5 at a time to feed my
> poker habit!".
>
> ---
> Morphy

I think I've played maybe 10 possibly 20 tourneys in the past year online.
Most of which I funded myself, the others I had BACKERS. So what? I don't
play that much. If I played enough I would just make a big deposit and
play. I'm certainly not going to spend the kind of JUICE that Western Union
requires to put money on a site that I don't want to leave money on, since I
don't play that much online poker.

I've already admitted that I've lost somewhere between 3 and 4 grand online
over my online poker life. I'm a much better POKER player, than ONLINE
POKER player. You, of all people should know the difference, although many
here in RGP think they are the same game.

As far as the people I've talked to about the state of the industry, it's
true they are "insiders", so what? Many of my friends are "poker industry
insiders", why does that seem to bother you? I'm not "name dropping" or
trying to gain anything from it, I just made a statement that those were the
people I had been talking to about it. My point was that most of them agreed
with me. The header should have read "Are Industry Insiders and I the only
...

By the way, the needling doesn't really bother me. I made a living doing
self-deprecating humor on the radio for many years, including my poker
webcasts where I always talked about being a horrible player, which is not
really the case. Online, I'm not an overall winner, but at the felt, I have
done very well.

--
Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles




 
Date: 31 Dec 2008 01:09:37
From: Old Wolf
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with
On Dec 31, 6:44=A0am, "DaVoice" <davoice...@cox.net > wrote:
> =A0Full Tilt, Absolute, Doyles Room, the other 100 or so that still take =
U.S.
> players and deposits and especially PokerStars =A0will NEVER be granted
> licensing because they thumbed their noses at the UIGEA

Do they really care?

Stars is still making money hand over fist, without
US government approval. There's regularly been over
150,000 players online lately. Who needs the US?

And perhaps it's even beneficial not to have the
US players? I hear that Europeans play worse on
average (in a way that'll generate more rake and reloads).




  
Date: 31 Dec 2008 09:51:03
From: DaVoice
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?

"Old Wolf" <oldwolf@inspire.net.nz > wrote in message
news:2b6c8247-77ef-47aa-95e8-ea39069c6d57@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com...
On Dec 31, 6:44 am, "DaVoice" <davoice...@cox.net > wrote:
> Full Tilt, Absolute, Doyles Room, the other 100 or so that still take U.S.
> players and deposits and especially PokerStars will NEVER be granted
> licensing because they thumbed their noses at the UIGEA

>Do they really care?

Are you mentally ill or joking?!

>Stars is still making money hand over fist, without
>US government approval. There's regularly been over
>150,000 players online lately. Who needs the US?

Ummm...yeah, but what percentage of those 150k players do you think are in
the U.S.?

>And perhaps it's even beneficial not to have the
>US players?

If they thought that, they would have barred U.S. players, as Party did.

>I hear that Europeans play worse on
>average (in a way that'll generate more rake and reloads).

I don't know who are better players, but I know that Poker has been being
played at a lot higher level and for a lot longer here than in Europe.
Trust me, STARS likes American players.

--
Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles





 
Date: 30 Dec 2008 18:04:42
From: DELETETHIS
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with
To assume the government has principles is a mistake. They will just
take the money and without so much as a "you shouldn't have done that"

DaVoice wrote:
> I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few
> weeks and we all have come to the conclusion that PokerStars really screwed
> the pooch with the timing of their "Guiness World Record attempt
> Tournament". Why?
>
> If and when the United States "carves out" online poker from the UIGEA, it
> will NOT be retroactive. We can debate the legality of online poker in the
> U.S. til we're blue in the face, but if there comes a time when the Gubmint
> decides to "Allow, regulate and tax" online poker The three biggest U.S.
> casino corporations already have partnerships with overseas outlets that DO
> NOT take deposits or players from the U.S. presently, and PartyPoker and the
> others that immediately pulled themselves from the U.S. Market will be the
> front of the line,
>
> Full Tilt, Absolute, Doyles Room, the other 100 or so that still take U.S.
> players and deposits and especially PokerStars will NEVER be granted
> licensing because they thumbed their noses at the UIGEA and PokerStars
> having so many U.S. players making the money, including the WINNER of
> $30,000 being from VERMONT is going to bring down the HAMMER on their
> chances of EVER being granted a U.S. license. I have always loved PStars,
> they were a great sponsor of mine, the owners are good people, many of the
> people that run the day to day operations and those that did, but left after
> the UIGEA passed are good friends of mine, but I think this type of HUBRIS
> will be their U.S. downfall, IF there is ever a "carve-out" and U.S.
> licensing of online poker.
>
> JMHO


 
Date: 30 Dec 2008 12:34:24
From: garycarson
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
On Dec 30 2008 12:44 PM, DaVoice wrote:

> I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few

Taken as a group, poker industry people have the brains of an unemployed
dj.

_____________________________________________________________________ 
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com




  
Date: 30 Dec 2008 15:34:29
From: Mark B [Diputsur]
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?

"garycarson" <garycarson@alumni.northwestern.edu > wrote in message
news:g7dq26x9qp.ln2@recgroups.com...
> On Dec 30 2008 12:44 PM, DaVoice wrote:
>
>> I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few
>
> Taken as a group, poker industry people have the brains of an unemployed
> dj.

Speaking of unemployed dj's ...
Hey Rick, we down? =)




 
Date: 30 Dec 2008 10:54:03
From: Raider Fan
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
On Dec 30 2008 11:44 AM, DaVoice wrote:

> I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people

I'm sure they're shaking in their boots.

---- 
* kill-files, watch-lists, favorites, and more.. www.recgroups.com



 
Date: 30 Dec 2008 10:18:25
From: FellKnight
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
On Dec 30 2008 12:44 PM, DaVoice wrote:

> I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few
> weeks and we all have come to the conclusion that PokerStars really screwed
> the pooch with the timing of their "Guiness World Record attempt
> Tournament". Why?
>
> If and when the United States "carves out" online poker from the UIGEA, it
> will NOT be retroactive. We can debate the legality of online poker in the
> U.S. til we're blue in the face, but if there comes a time when the Gubmint
> decides to "Allow, regulate and tax" online poker The three biggest U.S.
> casino corporations already have partnerships with overseas outlets that DO
> NOT take deposits or players from the U.S. presently, and PartyPoker and the
> others that immediately pulled themselves from the U.S. Market will be the
> front of the line,
>
> Full Tilt, Absolute, Doyles Room, the other 100 or so that still take U.S.
> players and deposits and especially PokerStars will NEVER be granted
> licensing because they thumbed their noses at the UIGEA and PokerStars
> having so many U.S. players making the money, including the WINNER of
> $30,000 being from VERMONT is going to bring down the HAMMER on their
> chances of EVER being granted a U.S. license. I have always loved PStars,
> they were a great sponsor of mine, the owners are good people, many of the
> people that run the day to day operations and those that did, but left after
> the UIGEA passed are good friends of mine, but I think this type of HUBRIS
> will be their U.S. downfall, IF there is ever a "carve-out" and U.S.
> licensing of online poker.
>
> JMHO
> --
> Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles

If you think the US government has or will ever have such control over
foreign companies, then wow.

If a carve-out is ever created, it would not and could not require current
online sites from being licensed by the US in order to accept US players'
money.

*and* even if it did, I think the billions of extra dollars in rake that
Stars has taken in since UIGEA would find its way to grease the right
palms.

Fell
--
Be Loud. Be Proud. Be Considerate!

______________________________________________________________________ 
looking for a better newsgroup-reader? - www.recgroups.com




 
Date: 30 Dec 2008 10:10:59
From: johnny_t
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with
We could argue all day long about what the sky is made of. Til we are
blue in the face, but there will be a time that the gubmint will decide
that it is made of marshmallows and that we are all going to sufficate
in giant piles of Fluff.

You entire argument is nearly random. What part of "makes nothing
illegal that is legal" don't you understand?

And WHO is this regulating, the poker houses, the gambling locations.
Well golly, no it isn't.

It regulates the money people.

But go on. Tell us more about your high level talks with the Industry
folks, and why the sky is falling.


DaVoice wrote:
> I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few
> weeks and we all have come to the conclusion that PokerStars really screwed
> the pooch with the timing of their "Guiness World Record attempt
> Tournament". Why?
>
> If and when the United States "carves out" online poker from the UIGEA, it
> will NOT be retroactive. We can debate the legality of online poker in the
> U.S. til we're blue in the face, but if there comes a time when the Gubmint
> decides to "Allow, regulate and tax" online poker The three biggest U.S.
> casino corporations already have partnerships with overseas outlets that DO
> NOT take deposits or players from the U.S. presently, and PartyPoker and the
> others that immediately pulled themselves from the U.S. Market will be the
> front of the line,
>
> Full Tilt, Absolute, Doyles Room, the other 100 or so that still take U.S.
> players and deposits and especially PokerStars will NEVER be granted
> licensing because they thumbed their noses at the UIGEA and PokerStars
> having so many U.S. players making the money, including the WINNER of
> $30,000 being from VERMONT is going to bring down the HAMMER on their
> chances of EVER being granted a U.S. license. I have always loved PStars,
> they were a great sponsor of mine, the owners are good people, many of the
> people that run the day to day operations and those that did, but left after
> the UIGEA passed are good friends of mine, but I think this type of HUBRIS
> will be their U.S. downfall, IF there is ever a "carve-out" and U.S.
> licensing of online poker.
>
> JMHO


 
Date: 30 Dec 2008 17:54:47
From: Patti Beadles
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?
In article <k6t6l.32173$ly1.1337@newsfe19.iad >,
DaVoice <davoicergp@cox.net > wrote:
>I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few
>weeks and we all have come to the conclusion that PokerStars really screwed
>the pooch with the timing of their "Guiness World Record attempt
>Tournament". Why?

I'm sure the gummint is 100% perfectly well awarey of Stars and
who their customers are right now. One tournament wouldn't have
made a whit of difference in this.

-Patti
--
Patti Beadles, Oakland, CA


  
Date: 30 Dec 2008 09:58:52
From: DaVoice
Subject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks PokerStars screwed themselves with the Guiness Record tourney?

"Patti Beadles" <pattib@green.rahul.net > wrote in message
news:gjdn97$u6f$2@blue.rahul.net...
> In article <k6t6l.32173$ly1.1337@newsfe19.iad>,
> DaVoice <davoicergp@cox.net> wrote:
>>I have been talking to a lot of "poker industry" people over the past few
>>weeks and we all have come to the conclusion that PokerStars really
>>screwed
>>the pooch with the timing of their "Guiness World Record attempt
>>Tournament". Why?
>
> I'm sure the gummint is 100% perfectly well awarey of Stars and
> who their customers are right now. One tournament wouldn't have
> made a whit of difference in this.
>
> -Patti

I have no doubt that you're right about them knowing, but for Stars to
"Shove their nose in it" like people do when training puppies not to shit on
the floor was a bad move, IMHO.

--
Rick "ADB DaVoice" Charles